So you have a huge to do list to complete and you really want to sleep, but you know you can’t because there would be no power in the whole world that would get you out of bed if you’ll lay on it? Yeah, I know that feeling all too well. As a student… let’s just say it is almost a daily struggle. So what to do? I have seriously quite many ideas for you but since I know you are supposed to be working/ studying right now, I will give you five. Maybe we can make this into a series if you feel interested 😉
- Get up and do some jumping jacks or push ups or just walk. Honestly I know this feels like the dumbest thing ever. What, I’m supposed to do fitness stuff when I want to sleep. Yeah not gonna happen. But honestly you don’t have to do it for hours. Just a couple of movements and a little bit of stretching will get your blood pumping and your heart beating and the best part is since you are moving your brain gets activated because it is getting a signal that stuff is happening. So, move you booty!
- Go make yourself a tea or coffee, eat some fruit. This is helpful again because you actually move, you get some nutrients in ya that you brain might just like, annnnd you get to do something else than just stare at the screen or book, without actually understanding shit. But after the pause actually get back to work….no honestly, yeah… I see you on the Instagram… you can’t fool me. I’m the queen of procrastination, I know whats going down when no ones watching.
- Chew gum. It activates your brain more because again you are actually doing something. Don’t over do it. But especially if you know you have to remember something, chew gum and use the same flavor in the exam. 😉
- Make a realistic to do list. And this is kind of a tip for before you even start working. In the morning (or the night before) you think you are a superwoman(or man) and you can get anything done. Writing a report in 5 minutes? No problem! Then the next day you look at the 50 item to-do list and you start snoring before you finish reading it… So actually make it realistic.
- Meditate, journal and/or do some breathing exercises. This make you get to the present moment. To some this will sound very spiritual, but honestly it is just as well psychological. (If you want to make it spiritual be my guest, I myself do it so) How ever if you aren’t into the “voovoo” stuff; here is how I would do it. I would sit down, put calm nature/classical music on and concentrate on the breathing. Nothing more nothing less. This makes you calm down your nervous system and makes you more creative and relaxed. This in turn especially if you make it a routine makes you, more productive. Journaling is also great because it releases all of your brain space. Instead of having 50 things in your mind, you know you have it written down and you can get back to it later, and surprisingly enough you don’t get tired as easily. Why? Because you aren’t busy trying to make you brain shut up. Ever had those moments of writing an essay and having to constantly tell yourself to stop thinking about xyz and no you don’t have to do that other task now rather than writing etc. All of this is by the way also proven scientifically, so go ahead give it a try!
As you might have noticed none of these tips were how to miraculously work through 48 hours and not sleep at all. What this was; plan things smarter and take smart breaks not to be dead. It seriously does work. So go and have a try. Oh and make sure not to disregard these tips because you can’t apply them 100% If you work a very busy job while going to the bathroom do a breathing exercise, or on the bus. If you can go get a cup of coffee, stand up at you desk. If nothing else with a pretense of searching for a paper etc. You can always do something for self-care. And if your company doesn’t allow that, trust me when I say you can find better. Maybe not right now, but you can.
As always thanks for reading and comment down below if you want to ask something or add something!
If you haven’t yet, join the Changed Life Facebook community. The goal is to keep up a conversation and help one another! Link is here: FB ChangedLife
Other social media platforms: Instagram , Twitter and Pinterest