I know I know, it is summer, who the F talks about school stuff now? I do. 1st I would like to point out that you can study when ever and studying could be just for your own pleasure and not relating to school what so ever, but making it more simple is very beneficial, no matter what your reason for studying is. So let’s begin shall we?
- Make a choice and stick to it. I know it is hard to figure out what our most important subject is at school or what interests us the most outside school but in the end this doesn’t really matter. Just chose a subject and stick to it for 30min-1h. Take everything of your table that isn’t related to that subject and study it. In the end it doesn’t matter if it wasn’t the most “important” one. The goal is to at least start with something.
- Do not color code or doodle. Now this will be controversial tip, I know. So many people want their notes to be pretty, and that is great and if color coding and drawing helps you even better! BUT I would suggest to do the doodling and color coding at the end of your notes taking time. This way you can see it as a little treat for yourself, and going over your notes with different pens and drawing things relating to the subject will work as a review.
- Use back up sources. I at least myself would often just read a book and concentrate on learning things by hear. And if something was given as homework I felt like I should be able to understand everything without extra research, so I ended up not retaining information, I just learned stuff by heart (if I did). But googling or checking things from a dictionary isn’t a bad thing. It is okay not to know a word or not to understand a difficult concept say in physics or the like. So make it easier for yourself and just google it (or ask someone who knows the subject better….”Mooooom what’s 1+1)
- Do not plan too much. You will never make a perfect plan and in the end it just takes a lot of time. Prioritizing in the end is quite simple. 3 Exams coming up? Study for those 3 exams. Which one should be prioritized you ask? Either the one that is going to be first or the one you feel you know the least. The same applies to just normal homework, essays etc. During the school week concentrate on the subject that you have had at school that day. That way the lecture is fresh in your mind.
- Update your planner daily, that way you won’t need to have 2h long study planning sessions and you will just see everything in your planner.
- Remember to rest. No one can work non stop. And won’t do any favors to yourself if you over work yourself. Even Hermione Granger had a burn out in Harry Potter and of Azkaban book.
Remember that studying and learning should be a satisfying experience where your mind grows and your views broaden and you become better as a person. It is part of personal development. Do not ruin your studying by dreading it too much or making it out to be about life or death, when it is not. You can only do your best, and you know exactly what that is. So keep going and do not give up. If you have any tips or questions do comment :3
Thanks for reading,