Hello my lovely readers, I have been on a short, much needed break and now I am back inspired and ready to write. So let’s get to this posts topic; relaxation, de-stressing, calming your mind, battling anxiety and all that not so fun stuff that everyone of us goes through in some form. But we can make the process fun.
A disclaimer before I get to my post, everyone is different. What works for me might not for you and sometimes we have to tweak some things to fit our own needs, so do not take my words as the law but as a guidance towards the right direction, let’s begin!
- Calming scents: There are many calming scents. Most we know, lavender, chamomile, Vanilla, sandalwood. For me the most relaxing scent is the fresh air right after rain, and there is actually scientific proof that this scent helps calm the mind. For more information visit this site: http://www.livescience.com/49520-smell-of-rain-aerosols.html. It is quite easy to incorporate these scents into your life. Candles, teas, aromatherapy and walks in the nature are just some that come to mind right away. More about aromatherapy here: http://www.aromatherapy.com/
- Relaxing by listening: I find calming music, the sound of rain or thunder or just water (river, waterfall etc.), birds (real or on a play list),relaxes me extremely well. But also just sitting in silence can be healing for the mind. Just find what is the best solution for you at each given time.
Habits to calm your mind: Sometimes you have to incorporate more than just one thing in order to find peace so I have great combinations for you.
- Take a nice walk in the nature while having some essential oil(lavender, chamomile, vanilla) on your wrists, and the pulse points on your neck.
- Take a relaxing bath and read a good book, drink some tea or coffee (with no caffeine would be best.) . More about the therapeutic benefits of reading here: http://www.thereader.org.uk/media/72227/therapeutic_benefits_of_reading_final_report_march_2011.pdf.
- Meditate, there are amazing amounts of ways to meditate and I am a strong advocate to finding your own. I myself prefer to mix how I meditate. Sometimes if I find it hard to calm my mind I will listen to a meditation, so I can come back to the voice guiding me, but for example before sleep I like to do a mindfulness meditation, and I try to concentrate on my breath. I prefer this before sleep, because the voice won’t wake me up, if I accidentally fall asleep while meditating. (Which is perfectly acceptable, btw) For guided meditation you can go to YouTube and more information about mindfulness meditation over here: http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/mindfulness-meditation-may-ease-anxiety-mental-stress-201401086967
There is so many more things you can do. The best way is to do your own research, I hope the links I have above help you get started. Get excited about your health. Relaxing and de-stressing is one of the most important things you can do for your health. A calm body and mind will keep your immune system working up to par. Thanks for reading, please comment if you have ideas to add or what helps you relax ^^