I am the wisest man alive, for I know one thing, and that is that I know nothing.
This quote is something that everyone should read and understand. We might feel we know a lot, or might feel we should know a lot, but in the grand scheme of things, the knowledge we have, or thing we have is the size of a bugs sh***. Almost non existent. Now that doesn’t mean you are stupid or that you should start reading like crazy and never sleep so that you will know a bit more. No, this quote at least for me has a calming effect. Most of the time we do not know anything, and that is ok.
If it will make you feel better I can list at least 10 things at the top of my head that I do not know (but maybe I should)
- I do not know my purpose.
- I do not know most of the major rivers on the planet
- I do not know all of the major events in history.
- I do not know how old I will live to be.
- I do not know if I will have kids in the future.
- I do not know if I am studying what I really should.
- I do not know half of the compositions/composers I listen to. (classical music)
- I know little to nothing about Socrates and yet I used his quote here.
- I do not know what my day is going to be like tomorrow.
- Physics, maths and chemistry is ALL a huge mystery to me. ( I do know 1+1=2)
These are some things I do not know, and yes I am fully aware that some of the things are just lack of sophistication on my part. ( I promise to read upon at least some of the subjects) but somethings I do not know about is just that they are topics that are much bigger than what I am, like the reason why am I here, what will future bring and how I will die. Those things I will find out one day, but for now I am glad to live in the big un-known.
Do not think of yourself as failure, stupid, not good enough if/when you don’t know everything. Socrates is one of the most known Philosophers of our time ( I mean documented human time here) and yet he had the balls to admit he actually knows nothing. And he really wasn’t stupid now was he?
Keep going keep learning and keep reaching new heights but remember, no one, will ever know everything, and that is the beauty of life.